October 7, 2008

Goal Setting

Recently, my cousin has been keeping a blog and her last post was about a friend (mother of 2) who completed a marathon for the first time in her life. My cousin was moved by her accomplishment and she has decided to set a goal for herself for the next year. After reading this post, I remembered cheering on one of my friends, Dave Bargmann, who was running the twin cities marathon about a year ago. I remember looking at him in Aw and thinking to myself, 'that's amazing, I wish I could accomplish something like that.'

After all this reminiscing, I have realized I haven't shared my personal goals with my fellow bloggers.

My goals are not quite as hard core as running a marathon but they are measurable. My ultimate goal is to lose 20 lbs before my 10 year high school reunion in 2011. '2011!!! that's so far off!!!' you might say. Well, it may be a long time off but I have taken into account potential bumps in the road such as having another child before my reunion. Now, I haven't decided if I want to have another kid due to how difficult it was for me to have the first one but, I don't want to completely rule out the possibility. So, losing 20 lbs from the weight I'm at right now and potentially gaining 30 more and then losing it again ... that's going to take a lot of work.

Another purpose of this blog is to hold myself accountable so, the only way to do this is to tell you all exactly what I weigh and my progress hereafter.

When I ended my undergraduate degree I weighed 135 lbs
When Abby turned 1 year old, I weighed 170 lbs.
Today, 2 months later, I weigh 160 lbs.
My goal is to lose another 20 lbs to be 140 lbs.

This was really hard for me to post because I typically don't even like to tell my husband how much I weigh but ... this blog is about putting it all out there so ... now I am accountable.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go. I love your blog. Its fun to hear real thoughts about real issues that you are having that a lot of women our age are having too.
    Love it! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Julie, I admire you so much. I still can't tell people how much I weigh. Even just reading your blog the past week or so has inspired me to get my butt back in gear and head to the gym. THANK YOU! I have been on a lifelong goal to lose weight..it's a struggle but I am here with you! Up until about a year and a half ago I was almost 40lbs less that I was when I graduated highschool.. but I have slowly gained 10-15 lbs over the past year. My goal is to lose that and then some! Thank you for your honesty and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie you are very brave and as you can see by our comments, truly inspirational. As the marathon came and went this year, I was reminded that I need to set some goals for myself. Maybe not a marathon, but something. And now thanks to you, I have had a double reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job girl!!! You are an inspiration to me and to many others. Most of all and most importantly you want to be an inspriation to Abby!!! Thanks for the props!! Keep working at it!! I believe in you, you know us Peterson's we don't give up until the job is done!!! Stick with you goals. I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete