November 20, 2008

Too Much Testosterone!!!

When I got to the club today, I realized I'd forgotten my ipod. Typically, there's music on and you can always 'read' the TV screens when you're on the tred-mill so you have something to preoccupy yourself with. But, when I went downstairs, I didn't have my ipod to desensitize my brain from all the testosterone and puffy chests in the free-weights area. You could almost cut the testosterone filled air with a knife. In fact, there was so much testosterone that I became annoyed and had to finish my work out early. You ladies know what I'm talking about. Those guys that hang out in the gym for hours on end, beating their chests, getting as close as they can to you without it being socially awkward. Staring at you while you stretch or walk around the building. GROSS!!!

For instance, everyone knows that if someone is lifting free weights and there's only 1 person on the mats, it's proper gym etiquette that you move as far away from the other lifter as possible. A guy, about my age-maybe younger, came and stood on the mat section RIGHT NEXT TO ME! Hmmmm ... awkward. Then, while I was doing my lifts and watching my form in the mirror, I noticed at least 2 other guys in the background watching me in the mirror. Um, hello, but last time I checked, just because you're INDIRECTLY staring at a woman through a MIRROR doesn't make it any better than directly staring at her.

I guess there are certain FEMALE gym rats that might take that as a compliment, but seriously, I think I need a T-shirt that says;

I'm married
I have a kid
I'm here to work out
Leave me alone

I need to shower to get all the testosterone off my skin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SONG OF THE RUN: Let it Rock by Lil' Wayne and Kevin Rudolf

(This one's for Jason and Dave Bargmann :) )

6 comments:

  1. Yep, I used to be one of those gym rats, way back when that took the stares as a compliment ,but now not so much. That is why I don't hit the weight room anymore, and for me that is hard to do since I love lifting and always have. You should have a shirt made, if you do make one for me and I might hit the weight room again too!!
    bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I have to leave a comment that is really a story. When the swimmers worked out in the morning, we were usually all alone and so no one started or bothered us. The whole team was there and so no one really cared. But every once in a while, we would have to work out when some of the FB players were there. Not only did they reek and emit huge amounts of testosterone, they would of course watch us. This wouldn't be so bad, but we did a lot of body weight/balance skills. Here is where it got a bit uncomfortable with the 'watching'. One of the exercises we had to do was, with your hands on the floor in front of you and your legs on a balance ball, bring your feet as close to you as you could, into a pike position, thus shoving your ass about 3 feet into the air, and then flattening back out. For some reason, they all loved to watch that one.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make the T-shirt. I think it would send a pretty good message and I think a lot of other women at the gym would agree with you (I know I would, except for the part of having a kid). Keep rockin' the workouts :) I

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally know what you mean. It's such a meat market. One thing that helps? Go early in the morning and then everyone is too tired to care about anyone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just about to say you're being dramatic, Julie. But after reading these other comments I've realized it's probably true. I also think I should wear side blinders so I'm not one of those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, question. If you don't mind me asking (and not to be competetive, just to see if I am doing enough or not enough compared to others) how often do you work out and what do you do? I am not lifting and wondering if I should be alhtough I do a "power hour"class that includes lifting with cardio so....just wondering if I am doing the right things to max the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete